Peter James Thomas, the founder of peterjamesthomas.com Ltd. has provided business services to a range of clients in different industries. These services typically fall into one of the following categories:
- Interim Placements – Data
- Interim Placements – General Technology
- Consultancy – Data and General Technology (including authoring White Papers)
- Mentoring and Support
1. Interim Placements – Data
These are often “top data jobs” (such as the first three in the list below), but can also relate to other specific and narrower areas of data expertise.
Example job titles would include:
- Chief Analytics Officer
- Chief Data Officer
- Director of Data
- Director of Digital and Customer Data
- Head of Analytics and Data Management
- Head of Data Governance
Areas of expertise are best summarised by the organogram published as part of the peterjamesthomas.com Anatomy of a Data Function series:
peterjamesthomas.com Ltd. can provide interim services relating to any of the darker grey boxes appearing above and many of the lighter ones as well.
Typical roles might be focussed on such important activities as turning around the performance of an Analytics function, running a transformational Data Programme, establishing a Chief Data Office, or (an overlap with Consultancy here) developing a Data Strategy.
2. Interim Placements – General Technology
As well as Peter James Thomas’s well-known expertise in the data arena, he has extensive prior experience in other technology roles. These include running development functions, selecting and implementing commercial off-the-shelf software, or a range of architecture and IT strategy activities.
Example job titles would include:
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Technology Officer
- IT Strategy Director
- Head of Development
- Head of Financial IT
These roles also tend to span six months to two years and will again often be focussed on a transformation of a technology landscape, perhaps in collaboration with external partners.
Areas of expertise include:
- Financial and Accounting Systems (ERP)
- Customer Systems (CRM and Digital)
- In-house or partner-delivered IT Development
- IT Strategy Development
- IT Budgeting and Governance
- Enterprise Architecture and Business Architecture
3. Consultancy – Data and General Technology
Peter James Thomas has often been brought in to organisations to provide consultancy in a range of areas, particularly (but not solely) the data arena.
Typical consulting activities would include:
- Situational Analyses or Health Checks (Data or General IT Landscape)
- Data Strategy Development / Socialising
- Creation of a Data Function (recruitment and partner selection)
- Introduction and Embedding of Data Governance
- Building a Data Science Capability
- Selection of Data-related Tooling (e.g. for Visualisation)
- IT Strategy Development / Socialising
- Review of strategies created by organisations in-house or in collaboration with other consultants
- Selection of Commercial Software / planning for its Implementation and Integration
- Selection of Technology Partners / Outsourcers
- Creation of Architecture Roadmaps
- Review of the Data or Technology capabilities of potential acquisitions (Due Diligence)
peterjamesthomas.com Ltd. can also be commissioned to carry out research (internal or market) and write White Papers summarising this. These would most frequently be in the data field.
These are shorter engagements (a week to a few months) focussed on delivering a specific business benefit in a fixed time period. They can be full-time or interleaved with other commitments to fit in with the client’s needs.
4. Mentoring and Support
Particularly in the data arena, there is a shortage of experienced people available to fill senior roles. Equally, for someone newly appointed as a Chief Data Officer for the first time, or promoted to be Head of Analytics, there is a lot to learn and much to be done. peterjamesthomas.com Ltd. can provide tailored mentoring and support to ease people into their new responsibilities.
For more information about any of these services, please contact us.